Thursday, August 28, 2008

BTT: Stories

If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the
story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the
descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning
hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No …
it’s because you want to know what happens next?
Or, um, is it just me?

Yes and no. I have read books simply for the plot (most of the Twilight books) and I have read books simply for the language (The English Patient). The thing is, while those books were enjoyable enough, I didn't love them. I didn't absorb them and rave about them. A good book, to me, needs a combination of all of these:

Characters: At least one character has to be likable. That's why The English Patient felt hollow, and why I have such a hard time reading Steinbeck books.

Language: Language can be as indispensible as the plot. What would a Wodehouse book be without the appeal of its language? I don't really care if a book is evocative and flowery, as long as it is comprehensible and more-or-less readable. I dislike the very simple and the very embellished.

Plot: There is nothing more frustrating than a good story broken to pieces by philosophical or whale-related digression.

One last note: I have no use for "deep literary meaning", as defined by critics and scholars. Reading books not for enjoyment but for some other hazy academic reason is something I don't have any interest in doing. (I'm looking at you, James Joyce and Mrs Dalloway.)

5 comments:

Traci said...

I think I'm with you. While I'll choose an imaginative plot over a well developed character every time, my favorite books have a way of combining all the best elements - plot, likable (and loath-able) characters, turn of phrase. I read for enjoyment. I don't want to struggle, and I don't want to feel like I should be looking for some deep meaning of life stuff.

Anonymous said...

I agree Traci. I've got have a combination of elements that work. I really like books with substance.

Elen said...

Absolutely. I like reading to make me think, but I don't want it to feel like a boring philosophy class.

SmilingSally said...

I hear ya! You've been beaten over the head by an enthusiastic English teacher, haven't you? (I'm a retired English teacher.)

I think that the plot is the motor that drives the book, and the character may be the wheels. (There's a metaphor for you.)

Elen said...

Hee! I did have and enthusiastic English teacher, but he ended up being the best teacher I've had. I appreciate critical analysis, and I liked that class, but when I read on my own I hate to suck the fun out of it, you know?

I really like your metaphor! The plot is the motor, but the car as a whole can still be a piece of junk.