Sunday, May 3, 2009

Snippet Review: Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

I quite enjoyed Maisie Dobbs. In terms of a mystery it wasn't very complicated, but I really enjoyed Maisie herself and how unique she was. I haven't read of very many sleuths who rely so heavily on intuition, meditation, and being aware of the feelings of others.

The one complaint I had was that the story of her childhood was right on the edge of bad fanfiction. Violet eyes? Check. Dead mom? Check. Unusually clever and compelling young girl? Check and check.

Other than that, though (alliteration!) I liked it a lot. It felt like a hot cup of tea.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Thank you for dropping by Book Psmith. I don't know if I could reread Hound of the Baskervilles even though I liked it so much. I know that nothing can compare to that moment when Watson found out who was hiding out on the moor, so I think I would always be a little disappointed when I got to that part knowing what would happen. I do think Wodehouse was a genius. I am reading Psmith in the City right now and think it may become my new favorite. I read in your profile that Gaudy Night is one of your favorite reads. I have this on my TBR list for this year, so I am glad to see yet another endorsement of it.

Elen said...

Oh yes, Gaudy Night is great! Busman's Honeymoon is also a wonderful book. They make a perfect pair.

Thanks for stopping by!