Wednesday, July 30, 2008

BTT Medley 2

So, y'all know that I love books. I love reading them, buying them, loaning them, the smell of them, and, of course, talking about them. That is why I love Booking Through Thursday (http://btt2.wordpress.com/), a weekly meme about books. The last few weeks have had especially interesting questions (for me), so I thought I'd take the time to answer them.

One book at a time? Or more than one? If more, are they different types/genres?
Or similar? (We’re talking recreational reading, here—books for work or school
don’t really count since they’re not optional.)

One book at a time, typically. I read books quickly, so I usually don't feel the need to try and juggle two at a time. I like to fully invest myself in one story, not spread my attentions, you know? Occasionally I will read two at a time, or start a book, put it down and read another first, but that's the exception, I think.
When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person
get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books
and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or
parent, etc.)

My family liked books, but I was (and still am) the most avid reader. My mom read to me all the time as a baby, and then once I could read on my own I read all the time. My family is split right down the middle when it comes to books. My dad, brother, and sister don't really like to read, though my dad loves to listen to audiobooks. My mom, youngest sister, and I really enjoy reading.

1. In your opinion, what is the best translation of a book to a movie? 2. The
worst? 3. Had you read the book before seeing the movie, and did that make a
difference?


1) To Kill A Mockingbird. That movie is probably the closest thing to perfection, I think. The actors, writers, and director did an amazing job keeping the spirit and power of the book. The Lord of the Rings was also a fantastic adaptation. (Why yes, I am obliged to write about LoTR in every single post discussing movie adaptations of books!)
2) The Man In the Iron Mask. It's a great book, one of my faves, but the movie blows. I doubt that the writers even read the book. Plus, John Malkovich as Athos?? Puh-leez.
3) If I read the book first, it's harder for me to like the movie. I am a bit of a nitpicker. But you know what? A good movie should be like a sibling. Same source material, but different. If that makes sense.


And as a footnote: I've been reading the Lord Peter Wimsey series on a recommendation from some wise and lovely ladies, and I must plug the series, especially Clouds of Witness. It's my favorite of the series so far, I think. The mystery is good, plus it deals with Wimsey's own family, so all the secondry characters get a lot of page time. One of the best things about the books is that they, like the Bertie Wooster series, have secondary characters that are lovable and amusing in their own right. I'm always glad to see more of Detective-Inspector Parker and the decidedly Jeeves-like Bunter.

No comments: