Sunday, May 3, 2009

Book Review: The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

One of the perks of working in a college bookstore is that in between the Econ textbooks and anatomy charts there are all sorts of wonderful novels being read for English classes, just laying there to be read in my spare time. (It's how I read Watchmen.) So when The Thin Man turned up, it was in my hand as soon as I had a second to breathe.


I picked The Thin Man up for three reasons:

  • I had seen the movie* and thoroughly enjoyed it,
  • The cover is awesome,
  • And these lines were in the first chapter:
    We found a table. Nora said: "She's pretty."
    "If you like them like that."
    She grinned at me. "You got types?"
    "Only you, darling--lanky brunettes
    with wicked jaws."

I mean, come on. If those lines don't make you want to go out and buy this book, I'm not sure we can be friends.


*http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025878/

No comments: