Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

I just finished this book. No, really, just two minutes ago. I don't know why I'm doing a review, since I don't even know what to say. Read it. It's geared towards "young adults", but it really isn't a "young adult" book. It's long, but quick, and wrenching but not depressing. Well, it sort of is.

It's narrated by Death, and it tells the story of a young German girl living in Nazi Germany. I don't seek out stories of Nazi Germany, but this one is...it's only about the Nazis on the surface. Like any truly good book it trancends the time, the setting, the people. The book is all about humans. What they do to each other. What they feel about each other. How they die. How they live. What they write. How they read.

The style is a bit off-kilter, perhaps a little unsettling at first, but I soon got into it and found that the semi-frequent interruptions by Death to add a definition of a word, or a side-note, were welcome and made the book seem to go faster. It gathers momentum, for sure, without leaving the reader on a cliffhanger-ending at each chapter, or whatever else fiction writers love to do. (I hate that, by the way, being left on tenterhooks. A girl's gotta sleep, you know.)

What I'm trying to say is, I loved it. And I think you will too.

No comments: