Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rereading The Count, Part 2

I finished The Count last night. It was much easier to get sucked back in to that story that I originally thought. It was so nice to return to an old favorite. It really was like visiting an old friend that I've thought of affectionately over the years but haven't seen in person.

Some random thoughts, and SPOILERS:

For whatever reason, I have always felt pity for Villefort, far more than the others. I still did. He just seems to have gotten more crap thrown at him. I mean, Fernand was dishonored and lost his family, but all in one blow. Danglars what, lost his fortune? And was starved for a little bit? Villefort had: his illigitimate (presumed dead) son denounce him in public at his trial, watched his wife horribly kill his parents-in-law, an old servant, and his daughter, then watched her kill herself and discovered she had also killed their son, plus there was a broken engagement and some mind games in there too. I mean, yikes. That's a little....excessive, perhaps? Maybe I just found Villefort a more appealing and interesting character than the other two.

Why is every character in this book so obsessed with suicide? Killing onself is put forth as a legitimate solution to both bankruptcy and lost love (either by death or by marriage), in addition to the regulars like crushing unhappiness and "dishonor" on the duelling field. Like, Mr Morrel, maybe your devoted wife and daughter would prefer to have you alive and dishonored instead of dead and "honorable". Lame.

One very unpleasant surprise: My book is missing a whole chapter!! Towards the end of the book, there is a reference to the Count's visit to his old prison cell. "Wait a minute," I thought, "I remember that part! But I don't remember reading it this time around." Sure enough, this version of the book is missing a chapter. I am astounded, really, because not only did they reference the missing chapter in the text, but the book is already way over 1,000 pages long. What would they remove one chapter?? Grr.

I was thrilled to find my old friend The Count as entertaining as ever, and pleased to see that I got even more from it at 19 then I did at 15.

No comments: