Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reading Jane: Lowood, Thornfield, and French Mistresses

Sorry for the lack of Jane updates! I got distracted by school and other books for awhile, but I'm back on track now, and up to page 216. As before, here be spoilers.

So I am still really enjoying the book, especially the descriptive passages. I like how it feels so self-contained, as it enables me to study my new acquaintances and the surroundings without being distracted by a bunch of pesky secondary characters.

I am very happy that this isn't a tale of horrible, unavoidable misery. Lowood started off as a place of misery, but it was reformed in a few chapters, which is how it should be done, I think. That way the hardships leave their mark, but don't overwhelm the story or characters.

I was also glad that Lowood didn't take up too much of the story, and that Helen Burns kicked the bucket. I mean, sweet girl, but as a long term character she would've been annoying. She reminded me of Beth from Little Women. They both suffered from Saintly Dying Girl Syndrome (SDGS). What a tragedy.

And yay, we've gotten to Thornfield! And met Mr. Rochester and his bastard child! (Or maybe she isn't really his, since we have yet to see any resembelance between the two.) I haven't quite made up my mind about Mr. Rochester. In theory, he should be really annoying to me. He's got a bad case of the gloomies, as well as the "Fate hates me" mindset. Plus, he's kind of mean to poor little Adele. It's nice that you took her in and all, but maybe try for just a little bit of affection once in awhile.

Now, I have a confession to make. I kind of know how the book ends, and I also know that Rochester's crazy wife is locked up somewhere in Thornfield. Whether that crazy wife is the same French mistress, I have no idea. This knowlege hasn't lessened my enjoyment of the novel, but it has made me understand Rochester's gloominess a bit more. I still think he's wallowing, but this "greater understanding" is what has prevented me from being irritated with dear Edward's "woe is me" bit.

Plus, the guy is disarmingly frank, and Jane likes him, which makes the reader predisposed to like him as she is narrating the story.

Anyway, those are my thoughts so far, and I'm looking forward to continued reading.

No comments: